Writing your Will

Why make a Will?
A small investment now can mean peace of mind for the future.

People assume that if they do not make a will everything will work out okay and that their money and property will automatically go to their family. Unfortunately this isn’t always the case.

If you die without leaving a will, the law dictates who inherits what you leave. If you thought that you had left people well provided for they could face great difficulties without a valid will so don’t put it to one side for a rainy day, make sure you act now.

These are people you select to act for you after your death, who are responsible for the terms of your will being complied with. They have legal responsibilities to collect in your assets and pay any debts, such as your funeral bill, and then distribute your assets to those people named in your will. Somebody who is to benefit under a will can also be an Executor but all your Executors must be over 18 years of age. Sometimes it can be difficult to ask friends and family to be your Executors, in which case please remember that your solicitor can offer this service.

Charitable Giving
Leave A Gift To Cornwall is all about asking people to remember a Cornish charity in their will. If you feel you would like to leave a legacy to a charity that is special to you, any gift to a UK registered charity is free of Inheritance Tax and will be deducted from your estate (your money, possessions and property) before the Tax is worked out.

Ways you can leave gifts to charity in your Will
You can either leave a fixed sum (known as a ‘Pecuniary Legacy’) or part or all of your estate once other gifts have been distributed (known as a ‘Residuary Legacy’). Giving is simple and you will just need to tell your solicitor the name of the charity you favour (you can specify a local branch if you prefer) and they will take care of the rest

Updating your Will
If your circumstances change – if you move home, get married or divorced or have children you need to amend your Will. You should speak to your solicitor for more information.